Thursday, May 6, 2010

Status: Reading

Ok, So remember that one time I was all, "I'm going to be so good at blogging regularly."..? Well, then finals came and thwarted my plan, as well as a trip to California. And also, a new love got in the way..... reading.
I took a Children's Literature class last semester and honestly, It was the best class I have ever taken. Not only did it help me with my future career of teaching, but also it really did wonders for me now. It has sparked a love of reading. I've always been weird about reading. My mom is a total book worm and literally has a library in her house. I knew reading was supposed to be fun but with the approach of my teachers and the idea of reading to be only be tested on a book dragged that interest to it's grave.
One of the ideas my teacher gave to inspire reading was to introduce new book titles every day to spark interest. So, it may not be everyday, but here's a couple to get you interested....



If you have not hear of The Hunger Games, you are in for a serious treat. This book really sucked me in. Not only did I read the 300 and something pages in no time flat but I read the sequel (Catching Fire) which I thought was possibly better than the first. For all of you who have read it, surprise! a third one is on its way in August. I wont tell you much about it because it's better to go into this book with no background knowledge.
If this post doesn't persuade you, listen to this. I told my friend, Ashton, my mom and my sister about it and they've already finished it. And recommended to others who have now read it. So hopefully that will help.



Another I recently read that was really really interesting was called, The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. It's about a 13 year old girl who lives in a polygamist commune who is directed by the prophet to marry her 60 year old uncle. This book is definitely not fluff reading but it is very intense and a great read. I also learned a lot about the polygamist culture. I was almost late for work last week because I HAD to finish the ending. Extremely intense. Anyways...

HAPPY READING!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I keep hearing about The Hunger Games, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy to read it. Do you have one I could borrow? Otherwise, I guess I should just check it out from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a copy. I borrowed it from my mother-in-law. If you check it out from the library, the wait is about 180 people long so get on it quick.

    ReplyDelete